Kia ora koutou. Although things have been relatively quiet since closing submissions ended two weeks ago, there’s been a lot going on behind the scenes.
BACKGROUND: Apart from telling lies and exhibiting the full range of its racism during the Ngāti Kahu hearings in Kareponia and Auckland last month, the Crown also blatantly deployed its old tactic of divide and rule by encouraging all the other parties (Te Runanga o Te Rarawa, Ngāitakoto Research Unit Trust, Te Rūnanganui o Te Aupōuri, Ngāti Tara, Te Paatu ki Pēria, Graham Latimer, a number of claimants from Whangaroa, and several claimants from Ngāpuhi) to lodge their own resumption applications over the Ngāti Kahu lands. The majority of them declined to do so.
However Te Rarawa lodged its own resumption application on 6th September over the 8 properties in Kaitāia and Takahue that are in Ngāti Kahu’s claim. During the hearings Te Rarawa’s lawyers said that they might expand their application over the whole Ngāti Kahu rohe. However, to date, Te Rarawa have not yet moved to extend their current application.
Two weeks after Te Rarawa, the lawyers for Ngāti Tara also filed a resumption application in behalf of their client seeking resumption over Rangiputa station. Last week Ngāti Tara’s lawyers filed a joint memo with the Tribunal, as well as for Te Paatu ki Pēria’s claimant group and Graham Latimer asking that its resumption application be adjourned sine die (indefinitely), but they reserved the right to revive it if they didn’t get what they wanted from piggybacking on Ngāti Kahu’s WAI 22.
Below, for your information, are links to the following documents:
TE RARAWA RESUMPTION APPLICATION:
1. Te Runanga o Te Rarawa resumption application to the Waitangi Tribunal - http://www.docstoc.com/docs/132730328/06-Septmeber-2012---Te-Rarawa-Appl...
2. Memo of Counsel for Te Rarawa in support of application for resumption - http://www.docstoc.com/docs/132730320/06-Septmeber-2012---Memo-of-Counse...
3. Annexures to Te Rarawa resumption application - http://www.docstoc.com/docs/132730324/06-Septmeber-2012---Te-Rarawa-Appl...
4. Affidavit of Haami Piripi re Te Rarawa resumption application - http://www.docstoc.com/docs/132730332/10-September-2012---Affidavit-of-H...
5. Waitangi Tribunal Direction on Te Rarawa resumption application - http://www.docstoc.com/docs/132730346/21-September---Tribunal-Memo-re-Te...
6. Memo of Counsel for Te Rarawa response to Tribunal Direction - http://www.docstoc.com/docs/132730369/27-Septmeber-2012---Memo-of-Te-Rar...
NGĀTI TARA RESUMPTION APPLICATION
7. Ngati Tara’s resumption application to the Waitangi Tribunal - http://www.docstoc.com/docs/132730341/18-September-2012---Ngāti-Tara-resumption-application
8. Appendix to Ngāti Tara resumption application - http://www.docstoc.com/docs/132730335/18-September-2012---Ngāti-Tara-resumption-application---Appendix
9. Waitangi Tribunal Direction on Ngāti Tara resumption application - http://www.docstoc.com/docs/132730349/21-September-2012---Tribunal-Direc...āti-Tara-resumption-application
10. Joint memo of counsel for Ngāti Tara response to Tribunal Direction - http://www.docstoc.com/docs/132730357/27-Septemebr-2012---Joint-Memorand...āti-Tara-resumption-application
Ngāti Kahu’s responses to these two applications are being filed today and will be posted āpōpō.
In the meantime our mahi to bring the Crown to justice for its innumerable breaches of Te Tiriti o Waitangi continues.
If you have any questions, just ask. Ngā mihi,