It’s good news/bad news whanau ma. Have a look at the three sets of statistics below and you can see:
- Past Maori voting percentages have been low.
- Current Maori enrolment numbers are still low.
GOOD NEWS: We have until 14 October to get Maori enrolment numbers higher.
REALLY GOOD NEWS: Maori enrolment numbers AND voting percentages have consistently trended up over the past 3 elections.
1. MAORI POPULATION IN 2023:
- 892,000 Maori in AOTEAROA.
- 632,000 aged 18+ (approximately).
- NB: there was an estimated 32% Maori nonparticipation in last census for which we have figures (2016).
2. MAORI ENROLMENT IN 2023:
- 259,872 Maori currently enrolled across the 7 Maori electorates.
- 246,277 Maori currently enrolled across the 65 General electorates.
- 506,149 potential Maori voters enrolled in total.
- 95,851 potential Maori voters not yet enrolled.
3. MAORI PARTICIPATION IN PAST 3 ELECTIONS:
- 535,520 Maori enrolled.
- 390,206 (72.86%) eligible Maori voted.
- 145,314 (27.14%) eligible Maori didn’t.
- 476,798 Maori enrolled.
- 338,980 (71.09%) eligible Maori voted.
- 137,818 (28.91%) eligible Maori didn’t.
- 441,492 Maori enrolled.
- 298,565 (67.62%) eligible Maori voted.
- 142,927 (32.38%) eligible Maori didn’t.
KORERO HAKAMUTUNGA: Kia takatu ki te REHITA, ki te POOTI hoki. Get ready to enrol & vote - https://vote.nz/